Today we are going to show you how we adapted Uno Card Game for our toddler and came up with several very simple learning ideas with only this card game. We used them to learn colors, numbers and few simplified versions of this game were used to teach toddler basic rules like taking turns.
You have probably played Uno Card Game at some point of your lives. Producer (Mattel) has placed age mark +7 on the top of the box as an age recommendation. And yes, to play Uno Card Game according to rules found inside a box, that would probably be correct. But if you have these cards around, and more than one kid – all of different age, it’s a good chance that your toddler wants to play with your older kids. I’ve added couple ideas how to adapt Uno card deck with your toddlers and preschooler in a simpler, less frustrating way.
Set up your play deck by removing all cards except cards with numbers 1 – 5 in all colors.
You’ll still have 40 cards.
1. Let them divide cards by color. It will enhance their knowledge of basic colors (yellow, red, blue, green). Age 2+.
2. Picking the same number, color is irrelevant. Great for number recognition. Age 2+
3. A little bit more enhanced: Sorting by both color and number. Age 3+
4. Simplified card game version 1: Do you have the…. Shake the cards, deal each of the players 5 cards, other cards face down on the table. One player calls out the card he / she has in hand (example: “Do you have red No.1?”. Other players check their hands, if they have it, they collect both cards, and if they don’t they draw another card from the pile. A player who collects most cards is the winner. Age 3+
5. Simplified card game version 2: Play it as Black Jack. Just add another card from the deck (totally different as others) as a Black Jack. Age 3+
Today’s post is a part of Cool Math for Cool Kids series where we collaborate with a number of kid-friendly bloggers to bring interesting and engaging learning ideas daily and make math more fun for kids! Check all the other ideas in the series by clicking on the picture:
SAVE FOR LATER!
Subscribe and INSTANTLY DOWNLOAD
5 LEARNING IDEAS WITH UNO CARDS ADAPTED FOR TODDLERS AND PRESCHOOLERS
to use them over and over with your kids!