Do you have same problem as we do: the more toys our kids have, the less they play with them!? Somehow, their toys became clutter and, as toy piles grow, toys become a daily problem instead of a solution. After a month of sharing different articles, we collected over 100 ways to play more with fewer toys.
Earlier we have listed our 20 different reasons why we think that less toys will result in more playing, and the similar result would happen with books and reading. We have decided to include kids in toy purge and rotate toys to keep the clutter down and don’t give away all of their toys.
If toys are overtaking your home and you need some drastic measures, here is a single tip to choose just enough toys for your kids. And to keep us from making the same mistakes with toy purchase, we have put together a list of 5 things to consider when purchasing toys.
Over 100 Ways to Play More with Fewer Toys
Here is a list of 100+ ways to get more play out of fewer toys, once you’re done with decluttering your home with all the extra toys that keep popping up in all the parts of your home:
- If you’re looking for ideas to play outside with kids, either when sun shines or snow falls, here are 5 different outdoor play ideas for kids.
- We all have old mobile phones, remote controllers, and a number of other outdated technology in our draws! Have you considered turning them into toys? Found 3 ideas how to turn old technology into toys and get inspired to find some more ways to play.
- Set up a simple dish washing station for your toddlers and they will have hours of fun.
- Put together a bunch of random items and let kids play! We have 7 play ideas without commercial toys and you can surely come up with some additional!
- Do you have some play food? Kids can play with play food in 5 different ways at least!
- Your kids love to “help” while you cook? Let them play right by your side in a kitchen with these helpful tips for turning kitchen in a play area.
- Do you have a tuff tray? Or some kind of large wide plastic pan? Here are 10 ideas for fillers and play!
- Take a board game and expand play variations to make it fun again! Here are 7 ways we played with Candy Land board game.
- Have some plastic animals and lots of loose parts around? Turn them into a small world zoo!
- I’m sure we all have blankets in our home but how often we use them as a toy? And there are at least 7 different ways to play with a blanket.
- You can always pick a pack of stickers and use one of these 9 ideas to play and learn with stickers. Plus side, all kids love stickers!
- Do you let your kids play with kitchen tools? Take a look at these 15 ways to turn kitchen utensils into toys and get them out to play!
- And items found in other parts of your home can be used for play. Here are at least 60 ideas for common items from recycle bin. Can you think of more ways?
- You live in a small space where is not much space for toys? Keep the list of 15 ways to play when there is no place for toys!
- You probably have colander in your kitchen cupboard. Check these 5 fun activities to do with colander and let the fun begin!
- Your kids probably have some kind of building blocks, right? Here are 3 ways to use blocks beyond standard stacking.
- And don’t forget! We, parents are our kid’s all-time favorite toys!
In Less Toys. More Play. article series we share ideas how to reduce toy consumerism, unclutter child’s rooms and bring more engaged play to our children.
- Why You Need Good Playroom Organization
- How to Create Organized Playroom for Your Child
- How to Declutter Toys
- 5 Playroom Clean-Up Hacks