Scavenger hunts are a fun activity for kids of all ages. It is proven that they will learn easier through play and scavenger hunts can provide both the learning element and fun. We prepared 52 photo scavenger hunts for your toddlers and preschoolers for indoor and outdoors, for every season and holiday!
WHAT IS A SCAVENGER HUNT?
Scavenger hunt is a game where a player (or group of players) search for items following previously set clues. When it comes to toddlers and preschoolers, since they are still unable to read written instructions, we prepared 52 different photo based scavanger hunts.
HOW LONG SHOULD A SCAVENGER HUNT LAST?
You can choose to limit the time for some scavanger hunts. For example, indoor scavanger hunts like Playroom Scavenger Hunt or My Health Scavenger Hunt can be limited to 15—20 minutes. Other scavenger hunts can last as long as it takes child to find all the items from the list, or until the activity is finished (walk around the city, traveling, etc.).
HOW TO PLAY SCAVANGER HUNT WITH KIDS?
Playing photo scavenger hunt is pretty straightforward:
· Print a scavenger hunt of your choice (you can match the theme you are currently working on or choose seasonal or according to a holiday)
· Ask a child to find as many of the items from the list.
· They need to either tick or cross the box before each item when they spot them.
· When time limit is reached, or you decide to conclude scavanger hunt, child needs to count the number of boxes they marked and circle the number on the bottom of the paper.
Before child starts hunting, you can ask them if they recognize all the items on the list and if they can name them. You can help them with names / words they don’t know.
ALTERNATIVE SCAVENGER HUNT—STORYTIME SCAVENGER HUNT
If, for some reason, you are unable to perform scavenger hunt outdoors (for example, you live in an area where far from a beach), you can still play the scavanger hunt! Take a trip to a local library and pick a book to match a theme of a choosen scavanger hunt. Read a story to your toddler or preschooler and ask them to spot the items inside a book and cross them off the list. Or you can turn it into a listening game and ask them to cross the items as they listen you reading a story aloud.
BENEFITS OF PLAYING A SCAVENGER HUNT
There are so many benefits for toddlers and preschoolers as they play scavanger hunt! We are going to mention some of them:
1. Impove problems solving skills as they try to find all the items from the list.
2. Teamwork and learning to colaborate with other kids (in group activity setting).
3. Language benefits—expanding on word exposure. In 52 scavenger hunts, there are 520 items / words. Of course, you can build up even more if you talk with the child about each of the items from the list.
4. Learning numbers to 10. We added this element on purpose. Repetitive nature of counting helps remember each of the numbers easily.
5. Observation / visual skills. Encorage chidren to search with their eyes, not hands. Especially when it comes to items from kitchen, tools, camping, etc. They will connect words with images and remember them when they encounter them again.
6. Adds movement break to learning session.
7. Most of all, scavanger hunts provide learning through play.
GROUP SCAVENGER HUNTS
Similar to an individual scavenger hunt, rules are the same. You need to print additional number of copies, one for each of the participants. Make sure each child has a pen or a pencil before heading out for a hunt.
Group scavenger hunts can be as small as few people (for example, siblings) or a larger group (classroom). Again, you can set a time limit for some scavanger hunts. Make sure to try to hunt all the items from the list before giving it to children. This way you can easily determine doable time goal.
INDOOR SCAVENGER HUNTS
1. Appliances Scavenger Hunt (clues:
2. Artist Scavenger Hunt
3. Bathroom Scavenger Hunt
4. Dining Room Scavenger Hunt
5. Furniture Scavenger Hunt
6. Kitchen Scavenger Hunt
7. Living Room Scavenger Hunt
8. My Closet Scavenger Hunt
9. My Health Scavenger Hunt
10. Playroom Scavenger Hunt
11. Tools Scavenger Hunt
OUTDOOR SCAVENGER HUNTS
1. Airport Scavenger Hunt
2. At Night Scavenger Hunt
3. Backyard Scavenger Hunt – sample image:
4. Beach Scavenger Hunt
5. Bug Scavenger Hunt
6. Camping Scavenger Hunt
7. City Scavenger Hunt
8. Community Scavenger Hunt
9. Farm Scavenger Hunt
10. Freshwater Scavenger Hunt (Pond / Lake / River)
11. Fruit Scavenger Hunt
12. Garden Scavenger Hunt
13. Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt
14. Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt
15. Park Scavenger Hunt
16. Playground Scavenger Hunt
17. Road Trip Scavenger Hunt
18. Train Scavenger Hunt
19. Veggies Scavenger Hunt
20. Wood Scavenger Hunt
21. Zoo Scavenger Hunt
SEASONAL SCAVENGER HUNTS
1. Autumn / Fall Scavenger Hunt
2. Spring Scavenger Hunt
3. Summer Scavenger Hunt
4. Winter Scavenger Hunt
HOLIDAYS & CELEBRATIONS SCAVENGER HUNTS
1. Birthday Scavenger Hunt
2. Chinese New Year Scavenger Hunt
3. Christmas Scavenger Hunt
4. Earth Day Scavenger Hunt
5. Easter Scavenger Hunt
6. Father’s Day Scavenger Hunt
7. Halloween Scavenger Hunt
8. July 4th Scavenger Hunt
9. Mother’s Day Scavenger Hunt
10. New Year Scavenger Hunt
11. St.Patrick’s Day Scavenger Hunt
12. Thanksgiving Scavenger Hunt
13. Valentine’s Day Scavenger Hunt
EVERYDAY SCAVENGER HUNTS
1. Color Scavenger Hunt
2. Emotions Scavenger Hunt
3. Shapes Scavenger Hunt
PURCHASE DIGITAL BOOK
Click on the button to purchase and instantly download 52 Photo Scavenger Hunts for Toddlers and Preschoolers. Price is as low as it can be and comes down to $0.10 per scavenger hunt!This post may contain affiliate links and we will earn a small provision if you make a purchase through them. Read full disclosure.