For today’s activity, we used some of the supplies from recycle bin and some stuff we had at home to create simple counting activity for toddler. Counting roses activity helps with learning numbers 1-5 and doubles as fine motor skill practice.
Counting roses activity has been done in our house before Valentine’s day but you can use it any time of the year!
Materials for Counting Roses Activity
Few items you will need to prepare in advance for counting roses activity:
- small medicine bottles from recycle bin (although any small cups or glasses you have on hands would work as well)
- mini roses
- self-adhesive paper
- ziplock bag for storage
Preparations for Activity
I have cut little hearts from self-adhesive paper and wrote numbers 1-5 on each heart. When done, I simply stuck hearts on little bottles.
You will need to prepare 5 mini bottles and 15 mini roses to learn 1-5.
If you want to expand this activity and learn counting numbers 1-10, you will need 10 mini bottles and 55 mini roses!
I have laid our counting bottles on the table and placed mini roses next to them.
My younger girl would then read the number on each of the bottles and place coresponding number of roses inside a bottle. Each of the little bottles turned into a vase holding roses!
Very simple and effective hands-on learning to count!
We used these same mini roses for another fine motor activity – we planted a garden! We prefer to use same materials in multiple activities, makes it worth the money we invested in a purchase!
Extend the playtime with counting books
How many do I love you? I love you more than 5 lovely llamas love licking lollipops! I love you more than 6 sleepy seals love snoozing in the sunshine! This counting book is like a valentine to your little one. As you practice counting up to 10, discover more loving messages and entertaining animals.
How many kisses does a tired baby need? Each page counts down starting from ten kisses to one final kiss on the last page. Find out in this adorable kiss-and-count board book!
20 AWESOME VALENTINE’S DAY ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
- Printable Valentine’s Day Dice Games // Fun-A-Day
- FREE Number Bingo // The STEM Laboratory
- Pre-Writing Alphabet Practice with Conversation Hearts // Preschool Inspirations
- Heart Match Up Activity // Frogs, Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
- Counting Roses // Best Toys 4 Toddlers
- Conversation Heart Counting Cards // Life Over C’s
- Love Bug Clock // Fairy Poppins
- Counting Heart Cake Toppers // Adventures of Adam
- Heart Wreath // Powerful Mothering
- Magic Heart Sight Words // Playdough to Plato
- Simple Suspended Conversation Heart Discovery Bottle // Lemon Lime Adventures
- Valentine Numbers and Counting Hearts // Play and Learn Everyday
- Valentine Math: Portable Ten Frame with Hearts // Lalymom
- Teach Buttoning Skills with Heart Buttons // The OT Toolbox
- Hearts Pom Pom Game // Teach Me Mommy
- I Spy Valentine’s Day Heart Bottle // Simple Play Ideas
- Color Sorting Hearts // Modern Preschool
- Candy Heart Addition Cards // The Kindergarten Connection
- We Go Together Like PB&J Homemade Game // Study at Home Mama
- Valentine’s Day CVC Board Game // Liz’s Early Learning Spot