Have you tried playing scavenger hunts? Even when you have little kids around, like toddlers and preschoolers, who are still too young to read, you can use photo scavenger hunt. They will love to play backyard photo scavenger hunt and get necessary movement in close proximity to home!
HOW TO PLAY BACKYARD SCAVENGER HUNT?
Before letting your child to head looking for clues in the backyard, download and print our free printable backyard scavenger hunt (link on the bottom of the page). You will need Adobe Reader to open downloaded file.
Here are few simple steps for sucessful backyard scavenger hunt:
- before child heads out, ask them if they recognize all clues. If there are some they don’t recognize, explain the image. Clues are: ant, trash can, clover, rolling skates, slide, tree, flower, bike, ball, ladybug.
- Let child head out in the backyard to search for clues. Make sure they have a pen with them – they need to cross or tick the box in front of the image once they spot the item.
- When they make a circle around the backyard and have found everything they could, ask them to count how many boxes are marked (clues spotted) and circle corresponding number on the bottom of the page.
SHOULD YOU LIMIT THE TIME FOR SCAVENGER HUNT?
You can limit the time for a scavenger hunt to make it more exciting, especially if more kids are participating in the hunt. Before deciding on time limit, head outside and try to find clues yourself to be able to set more accurate time limit.
For toddlers, it might not be a good idea to limit the time. However, preschoolers are already more familiar with items in the backyard and can find them easier so it will be more fun and exciting for them with a set time limit.
RAINY DAY BACKYARD SCAVENGER HUNT
It’s raining outside! And you wanted to get kids to do something fun in the backyard! They can still do a scavenger hunt – let them stand next to the window watching over the backyard and see how many of the items from the list they can spot from inside. They can watch through different windows to change the angle and spot more items!
BACKYARD SCAVENGER HUNT THROUGH SEASONS
Your child can do backyard scavenger hunt in each season to observe the changes and how they can or can’t find certain clues due to weather or changes in seasons.
LEARNING WITH BACKYARD SCAVENGER HUNT
As your toddlers and preschoolers play backyard scavenger hunt, they will learn:
- to name items they can find in the backyard and expand their word bank. Use this opportunity to talk about each of the clues and add even more words or explain unfamiliar words.
- to count to 10
- to observe around them – visual stimulation
- they will have fun moving around – gross motor practice
The most important part – they will have so much fun!
LOVE SCAVENGER HUNTS? WE HAVE 52 OF THEM!
Backyard scavenger hunt is one of 52 Printable Photo Scavenger Hunts for Toddlers and Preschoolers we prepared for both indoor and outdoor fun, for every season and holiday. You can do a different scavenger hunt each week for 52 weeks. It’s a whole year!
Click on the link to purchase and instantly download 52 Photo Scavenger Hunts for Toddlers and Preschoolers. Price is as low as it can be and comes down to $0.10 per scavenger hunt!