Some of the best ideas for play and learning comes from kids, as they take one activity and turn it into completely different direction! Similar happened with an activity we are sharing here, the one we called Slippery LEGO sensory play and it all began with a simple sensory bin filled with water beads!
Both of my daughters, particularly younger, enjoy an everyday sensory play. And if you followed us for a while, you might have noticed that we have quite a collection of sensory based ideas! If not, you can browse our sensory play category for inspiration!
Setting up Slippery Lego Sensory Play
- sensory bin
- water beads
- LEGO DUPLO® bricks
- plastic spoons in different sizes
- bottle caps from recycle bin
I have prepared sensory bin in advance for kids to find when they wake up.
Filled it up with water beads, added spoons in different sizes, bottle caps (from recycle bin) also in different sizes and several LEGO DUPLO® bricks. Image shows how sensory bin looked when I was done.
Girls approached exploring sensory bin very differently – while the older one had to touch water beads with her hands, little one decided to use spoons and fill in bottle caps with water beads.
She continued until all bottle caps were filled. Then she spotted that, as she was scooping and pouring water beads, that some of them ended on top of LEGO DUPLO® bricks, in those little studs. (Had to Google it! Apparently, that’s what little indents on the top of the Lego bricks are called, according to LEGO® glossary!)
She placed LEGO DUPLO® bricks on the table, just next to the sensory bin and began placing one water bead on top of each stud.
You wouldn’t believe how hard this is! I had to try it myself!
Water beads are so slippery and they tend to “run away” from hands, even with smallest pressure! (Yeah, that’s why this post ended up named Slippery Lego sensory play!)
Still, she continued to fill in studs until all were filled. Awesome for fine motor skills practice!
Next, she decided to bring up on the table “city” she created day before from LEGO DUPLO® bricks and fill studs on them with water beads too. Of course, Dora the Explorer had to be there too! 🙂
All in all, Slippery Lego sensory play was a fun and easy to prepare sensory play that doubled as fine motor skill practice for my toddler.
Hope you’ll be inspired to do some mix and match with toys you already have on hand and add some sensory elements to change it up.
It’s interesting how small changes make a toy completely new and interesting for kids!
Additional Activities with Lego bricks
- enjoy sensory play with Lego Color Graphing – free printable included
- for down time set up a Lego Tea Party Pretend Play
- LEGO Addition Mat for Greater Than/Less Than from Life Over C’s
- Duplo Lego Geoboard from Still Playing School
- Duplo Consonant Blends Activity from Learning 2 Walk
- Educational Playtime with Duplo – Sorting, Estimating and Building from Crafty Mama in ME
- LEGO DUPLO Sight Word Towers from Mom Inspired Life
- Build A Lego Catapult from Powerful Mothering
- Slippery Lego Duplo Fine Motor Practice from Best Toys 4 Toddlers
- Penguin Ice Cube Counting With LEGO from Preschool Powol Packets
- Word Building with LEGOS from Sugar Aunts
- Hands-on Science: Creating a Water Cycle Project using LEGO from Edventures with Kids
- Lego Tower Subtraction Race from The Kindergarten Connection
- 5 reasons you should use Lego with your kids from The Usual Mayhem
- Lego Heart Marble Maze from Lemon Lime Adventures
- Dumping Lego Colour Match Activity from Teach me Mommy
- Feed the Duplo Alien from Adventures of Adam
- How To Create A Duplo Block Painting from Raising Little Superheroes
- Letter Sequencing with Lego Duplo from School Time Snippets
- Lego ordering, days of the week from In The Playroom
- Dental Flossing with Duplo from Study at Home Mama
- LEGO Math Ten Frame Games from Lalymom
Looking for more fun things to do with your kids? We want to recommend you our book – Learn with Play (150+ Activities for Year-Round Fun and Learning)! You will find inside easy to prepare activities for everyday fun as well for all seasons and holidays! Here is a preview for you:
Purchase the e-book : CLICK HERE!