Join us as we play and learn with the nursery rhyme Little Bo Peep! As a base, we used the part of Little Bo Peep nursery rhyme with sheep losing their tails. And turned it into an easy sheep color matching activity for little toddlers.
Supplies for Sheep Color Matching Activity
Here are things to prepare in advance for color matching tails activity:
- download and print sheep printable (SCROLL TO FIND LINK TO FREE PRINTABLE)
- laminator (optional)
- 8 paper clips
- ribbon scraps in 8 different colors
How to Prepare Sheep Color Matching Activity?
- Download, print, cut and laminate sheep,
- Attach ribbon scraps to clips. Make sure to use same ribbon scraps in same colors as sheep (white, black, red, blue, green, orange, yellow, purple).
(Substitution for ribbon scraps, in case you don’t have them, can be chenille stems / pipe cleaners, fabric scraps, yarn or pom poms.)
Assure Multiple Uses for this Activity!
Do you have a laminator? We love our laminator, it helps us turn ordinary paper prints to a sturdy surface and allow us to use same things over and over again without going through printing and cutting everything we need for an activity every time we want to use it. If you are teacher or homeschooler, you need it! Well, I’m a parent and I use it all the time! Find the laminator here: United States | Canada | United Kingdom
HOW TO PLAY THIS COLOR MATCHING ACTIVITY?
Place sheep and paper clip tails on the table, let the music play Little Bo Peep, sing and play along:
Little Bo-Peep has lost her sheep,
And can’t tell where to find them;
Leave them alone, and they’ll come home,
Bringing their tails behind them.
Little Bo-Peep fell fast asleep,
And dreamt she heard them bleating;
But when she awoke, she found it a joke,
For they were still all fleeting.
Then up she took her little crook,
Determined for to find them;
She found them indeed, but it made her heart bleed,
For they’d left their tails behind them.
It happened one day, as Bo-Peep did stray
Into a meadow hard by,
There she espied their tails, side by side,
All hung on a tree to dry.
She heaved a sigh and wiped her eye,
And over the hillocks she raced;
And tried what she could, as a shepherdess should,
That each tail be properly placed.
Ask toddler to find tails each of the sheep is missing and attach a paper clip with the matching color to a sheep.
Ask them which color they are matching. Simple as that!
- Development of fine motor skills
- Eye & hand coordination – watching and doing and coordinating these actions.
- Promote creativity and imagination through role and developing stories.
- Language development – naming colors, rhyming
This would be great busy bag activity to prepare in advance for your little toddlers!
Expland the Playtime with a Book
PICK AN AUDIOBOOK WITH 135 NURSERY RHYMES!
Over 100 popular classic nursery rhymes to take along on long car drives as you head on your vacation. Of course, you can play this to your child every day. Singing is the best way to expand vocabulary and learn to properly pronounce words. Download this audiobook for free with Audible Trial.
5 additional activities you can do with your kids as you sing Little Bo Peep
- make cute yarn sheep as Teach Me Mommy shows
- Crafty Kids at Home shares this fun seek and stick tail on a sheep activity
- you can also use Little Bo Peep to teach kids to spell their name like Little Messy Monster shows
- make amazing Little Bo Peep emo dolls from paper rolls like Danya Banya, and teach kids about emotions
- add a sensory play and seek for sheep in shaving foam like shown on Adventures of Adam
OTHER SING ALONG NURSERY RHYME ACTIVITIES TO TRY
- Twikle Twinkle Little Star Art
- Wheels on the Bus Learning Activities
- 1-2-3-4-5 Fish Counting Activity
- Mary, Mary Quite Contrary Roll & Build Flower
- Hickory Dickory Dock Color Matching Activity
- Baa Baa Black Sheep Stick Puppet DIY