Today we played Roll and Build Flower game and we are sharing this fun game and free printable with you! Playing this dice game was a perfect opportunity to work on number recognition with our toddler! All of this happened as we sang another popular nursery rhyme – Mary, Mary Quite Contrary.
How to prepare Roll and Build Flower Game?
You will need:
- Roll and Build a Flower printable (SCROLL TO FIND LINK TO DOWNLOAD FREE PRINTABLE)
- Laminator – Optional. We laminated our game pieces to make them more durable.
To get the game going firstly you will need to download and print printable we prepared. Cut out the flower parts and laminate them (if you want). You can use construction paper if you don’t want to laminate.
Secondly, pick a dice and place all parts on the table. You are ready to roll!
If you scroll down this page, you will find an explanation how to expand Roll and Build Flower game to more players. We played both versions: only with my toddler as a single player, and with both of my girls as multi-player version.
HOW TO PLAY ROLL & BUILD FLOWER – SINGLE PLAYER VERSION?
Rules of this game are really simple:
- Child throws the dice until they reach number 1, then they set on the table flower pot where they will grow their flower.
- They continue throwing the dice until they get number 2, then place the part of the flower pictured next to number 2 on the printable.
- And they continue rolling and adding different flower parts in order until they finish and build complete flower.
HOW TO PLAY ROLL & BUILD FLOWER – MULTI-PLAYER VERSION?
Roll & Build Flower game can be easily adapted for more than one player. After downloading the printable, print 2nd sheet in as many copies as you have players. Cut and prepare in advance. You can use a single sheet with number chart for all of them, no need to print more than one.
To play the multi-player version rules are as follows:
- Kids take their turn and try to build flowers first to win the game.
- They have to follow the right order and build from 1 to 6.
- If they don’t get the number they needed to add the right part of the flower, they simply forward the dice to the next player without taking any additional action.
Sing Mary, Mary Quite Contrary as you play!
As mentioned earlier, we played Roll and Build Flower game as we sang popular nursery rhyme Mary, Mary Quite Contrary. You can also sing along, here are lyrics to get you going:
Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockleshells
And pretty maids all in a row
And pretty maids all in a row
PICK AN AUDIOBOOK WITH 135 NURSERY RHYMES!
Over 100 popular classic nursery rhymes to take along on long car drives as you head on your vacation. Of course, you can play this to your child every day. Singing is the best way to expand vocabulary and learn to properly pronounce words.
Download this audiobook for free with Audible Trial.
4 ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES TO PLAY WHILE SINGING Mary, Mary Quite Contrary
And here are 4 other activities you can use to play and learn while you sing Mary, Mary Quite Contrary nursery rhyme:
- grow crystal flowers like Danya Banya
- Adventures of Adam numbered and counted their flowers
- make tiny moon sand flower gardens like Crafty Kids at Home
- create a flower growth chart for and with your child as seen on Teach Me Mommy
Perfect Activity for Spring and Summer!
Flower themed activities are an awesome match for spring and summer playtime! We suggest to try few other flower activities with your kids like playdough flower garden or finger painted flowers. If you need an idea for an active child, you can try out searching flowers in one of our scavenger hunts (we have 52 of them listed!).
OTHER NURSERY RHYMES TO ENJOY WITH YOUR KIDS
- Twinkle Twinke Little Star
- Wheels on the Bus
- Little Bo Peep
- 1-2-3-4-5 Fish Counting
- Hickory Dickory Dock