This past week has been raining and although it’s Summer according to a calendar, we were mostly inside thinking of ways to make it more fun with things we had on hands. This simple tunnel race game with pom poms was created in just a few minutes and kids were having the blast and laughed all the way through the play.
INSPIRATION FOR TUNNEL RACE GAME
This activity was inspired by and created as a mix of few activities we have found in Early Years Activity Plans and we tweaked it a little.
WHY YOUR CHILD SHOULD PLAY TUNNEL RACE GAME?
We will list several reasons why you should invite your children to join in the race:
- this game provides oral exercise, including breathing and lungs development
- deep breathing has a calming effect on children
- they get to move around and burn extra energy, which is an awesome exercise for active kids, especially before bed time
- they get to work on visual tracking
- and number recognition and counting
- when other kids participate, they develope social skills like cooperation
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE TUNNEL RACE GAME?
Here is what we used to make our tunnel race game:
- several toilet paper roll inserts (cut and formed into tunnels)
- painters tape
- pom poms
- drinking straws
- markers (to add numbers on top of tunnels)
HOW TO SET-UP TUNNEL RACE GAME
- Start by taping lines using painters tape in zig-zag shape.
- Cut the toilet paper roll open, fold the ends and use painters tape to secure it on the path.
- Space tunnels to make it more fun.
- Use markers to write numbers on each of the tunnels.
- Add one last toilet paper roll as a “goal” at the end of the tape road. And your race setup is created!
HOW TO PLAY TUNNEL RACE GAME?
Get each of the children their own drinking straw and pom pom and let the race begin! They should try to blow pom poms through the tunnels using ONLY drinking straws. NO hands allowed!
This is much trickier than it sounds! And caused so much laughter! They blow the pom poms through numbered tunnels, going from 1 – 5.
OK, have to admit – it’s so much easier to take pictures of kids whose hair is not all over the place when they do this activity! Have to remember to tie my daughter’s hair next time we do something like this!
EXTEND THE PLAY WITH TUNNEL RACE!
This activity can easily be transformed! Here are some of the ideas:
- add matchbox cars for kids to race
- replace pom poms with ping pong balls
- invite them to create a whole town around these few simple toilet paper roll tunnels and painters tape roads!
Just leave it for few days and see what kids will come up with!
How would your kids play with these simple tunnels? Do you think they would enjoy pom pom race?
What Your Toddler Can Play Next?
Do you think your toddler would enjoy a teddy bear race? If they don’t have teddy bears, your children can use their favorite plush toys! For kids who need to burn extra energy we can suggest games such as bubbly ball bowling, XO hop, color matching game or animal action game. Have fun playing!
More Play Inspiration for Your Child
FREE BOOK FOR YOU!
When you subscribe, you will instantly download SENSORY PLAY BASICS (38 page e-book) and receive weekly PLAY IDEAS in your inbox!